Thursday, August 6, 2015

Imaginon!

Last time I talked about our local library.  This time I am talking about the Library on Steroids in Uptown Charlotte, Imaginon!  We went today for the free summer exhibit, Clifford!  But, we stayed almost 4 hours.  I love places that entertain and engage my 2 year old all the way up through my 12 year old.  The entire library is creative and playful and every corner and floor has multiple inviting areas that invite curiosity, wonder and learning!  

Each Summer they have a "Discovery Place Kids/Children's Museum style literacy" exhibit.  In years past they have had various incredible themes for the summer exhibit like:  Classic Fairy Tales or Arthurs World.  This year it was CLIFFORD!  


I love seeing them work together.  Even if it is pretend.

This was an area to color and leave your creative expressions on the board for all to see.


This exhibit is technically not for 12 year olds.  I didn't have the heart to tell him.  

Did I mention that we brought Wolverine to Imaginon? We almost brought Captain America and then Mr. Incredible.  But, Mr. Incredible changed to Wolverine when he realized he had a rip showing off his underwear. 


Something inside me sings when I get a group picture!

Zachary camped out and found a half dozen war books that he perused and Zeke and Zayden felt so big playing on the preschool computers.  We only spent a few minutes on the computers but Zayden was able to "play" instruments on screen and hear the sounds in his headphones.  And, Zeke was able to play "Bingo" with Dora.  


Most places I can not take my children without extra help or an anxiety attack.  There is just so many things I have to restrict them from.  Our world is not welcoming to children...  But, This place is DESIGNED for kids, it makes my heart so happy!


I am a sucker for a beautiful and fun ABC chart.  I can't not take a picture.


How did he get so big?

I have always thought it would be fun to have a light table.  I will just use Imaginons' instead.  That way they are in charge of dusting it.  And, buying the light bulbs.
More learning toys that I don't have to organize, rotate or clean or find the pieces.
A boy and his blocks.

His language is exploding.  And, he couldn't stop saying, "tractor".


Zoe hit her next goal in the summer reading program so she earned a FREE book and she picked a Little House on the Prairie book and spent a good chunk of the ride home reading it!

.  

The sheet she has in hand was a super cute scavenger hunt activity that her and Zane raced around to complete.

And, then we were so lucky to be there for a "story adventure" craft and song program with Eric Carle books for ages 5-11!  Score!

We want to make it back before the summer ends to be sure and do the free Clifford Exhibit one more time!  They reserve 10a-12p for "family time" so you can be sure not to be over-run by camps during that time.  But, it is for 1 adult and a maximum of 5 children.  They let me exceed the maximum.

Other visits Zach usually visits the teen loft for 12-18 year olds but the war books kept him busy.  And, Zayden usually won't let us skip the wooden fire truck in the loft; which is right next to some awesome iPads with educational apps for older kids.

I have one final tip. No visit feels complete without walking through the city just 1 street over to Brixx for pizza!  If you ask in the box office they have coupons for Kids eat free with 1 adult meal.  We found out about these coupons when going to the school year plays which are AMAZING plays for children.

Whether you have 1 toddler or a half dozen children you will find a FREE and FUN and FRUITFUL adventure without being FRAZZLED!  How do you like that alliteration?  Wishing you all the magic and wonder that this special place brings!

*Note about parking.  They have a garage UNDER Imaginon.  And, it is free for the first 1.5 hours.  And, a few dollars after that.  But, if it is full which it is sometimes you can park in the 7th street station and validate by visiting that market!



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a perfect day! I am definitely hitting up the library AND pizza tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete