Saturday, October 29, 2016

Grace smells like Tide

On Monday when my washer stopped spinning and draining with a FULL load my tactic was denial. In the chaos of Monday morning I didn't have time to accept this.  I thought, if I keep turning it off and on and unplug it and start it again, surely it will work.  Afterall, unplugging myself usually fixes my inability to spin and function.  This strategy was terrible.  By 3pm the same load started to SMELL FUNKY.  It was time to accept reality.

And, I practiced giving thanks in all things.  And, you know what?  It was hard, I won't lie.  9 people with young children and soiled linens and no washer was challenging.  Do you know where I found grace?  Being in need of help.  It is so humbling to ask for help.  I need to be humbled.  It is painful, but oh how I need humbling.  All week long we ushered laundry to 3 different friends houses.  I'd take a load to the Y to meet a friend or my older sons would bike a load to a neighbor in the bike carrier.  Oh the grace and love that is tangible when your friend brings you your dirty laundry back ALL CLEAN.  It is a gift to hand over what is dirty and they bring it back clean.  And, FOLDED!  Pure grace that smells like tide.  I literally wept and smelled the love of it all.  And, I needed it. Last weekend we got some hard news about someone we love dearly.  And, We are going through some HARD changes with different stages of our Z's.  And, I needed the tangible act of handing over my dirty laundry and the grace of a friend handing it back clean.  


No comments:

Post a Comment